Sunday, January 20, 2013

0 Gluten Free Dinner Rolls

gluten free, dinner rolls


Hey everyone, I hope you're all staying warm in this winter season! Over the past month or so, I've been trying gluten free bread recipes. For a while, I had completely avoided making gluten free breads and rolls. The first reason is that I really don't crave bread that much anymore. Eating gluten free, especially for those motivated by food sensitivities, isn't a diet change; it's a complete lifestyle change. For me, part of that lifestyle change was cutting out breads and after a while, it didn't really matter much to me.

Another reason that avoided making gluten free breads is I was never happy with the results. I’m a slight perfectionist, so when a recipe doesn’t come out the way I envision it enough times, I shelf it for a while. Aside from my one successful white bread recipe (check it out here), most of my breads turned out pale, heavy, or too grainy. In the past few months, after seeing various roll recipes, I was inspired to try again, and here is my latest attempt at making gluten free rolls. They have a fairly good consistency and are not heavy. The recipe is in grams because I ended up being able to use one bowl for the entire recipe. Hooray for food scales!

Active Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 40 minutes
Baking Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients
56 grams warm water
226 grams warm milk
1 1/2 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tbsp honey
2 tsp salt
1 1/4 tbsp yeast
120 g sweet rice flour
100 g tapioca flour
120 g potato starch
2 tsp xantham gum

Steps
In a large bowl, combine the water, milk, butter, honey, salt, and yeast. Let it sit at room temperature for about 8 minutes.

After the 8 minutes, stir in the flours, starch and gum. Stir constantly until a dough forms and is slightly sticky when touched. Cover the dough with a damp towel and set aside for 20 minutes.

Uncover the dough, and lightly grease your hands with oil. Separate the dough into half. Form 5 balls out of each half, and place into a greased round pan. Once all the balls are formed, cover the pan with a damp towel for another 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350F. After the balls have risen again, bake for 25 minutes and then remove them from the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment