Sunday, August 26, 2012

31 #SundaySupper: Gluten Free Pepper Steak

gluten free, pepper, steak

Recently I had the opportunity to participate in the #SundaySupper blog group. For those who are not familiar, it is a weekly themed event where food bloggers share their recipes and discuss the theme on Twitter than Sunday evening. This Sunday, the theme is Back to School Meals. These are recipes that are easy to make for a family and are easy to scale.
My choice for the event is pepper steak. Its a dinner that is affordable and quick to make. It's something that my mom would prepare for my family and me when I was in school, and is the first dinner recipe I think of for this topic.

The main items to be concerned about when making this gluten free are the soy sauce and the corn starch.  Be sure to purchase gluten free soy sauce and corn starch. Also, feel free to omit the corn starch if you have a sensitivity towards it. The purpose of the corn starch is to thicken the sauce, and tastes just as great without it.

Thank you to Nicole of the daily dish recipes for hosting, please check her site out here. Also, be sure to check everyone else's recipes:

Greek Dogs by Supper For a Steal
Pasta with Sausage and Broccoli by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad by Magnolia Days
Double Duty Fajita Chicken: Nachos Supreme and Enchiladas by Doggie at the Dinner Table 
Zucchini, Corn and Bacon Crepes by Vintage Kitchen
Oregon Shrimp Quesadillas by Pescetarian Journal 
Korean omelet rice by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
Lemon Dillled Salmon Croquette Burgers by Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
Gluten Free Pepper Steak with Rice by  No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
Crispy Ravioli in Cherry Tomato Sauce by Shockingly Delicious
BLT Soup by Meal Planning Magic
Korean Pan-Fried Fish by Kimchi Mom
Stove top mac ‘n cheese by Gotta Get Baked
Deconstructed Enchiladas by In the Kitchen with KP
Croque Monsieurs  by Juanita’s Cocina
Summer Squash and Mushroom Quesadillas by Chocolate Moosey
Seared Lamb on a bed of Mashed potatoes with Artichoke Hearts by Cooking Underwriter 
Pasta with Creamy Kale Pesto by Webicurean 
Baked Spanish Tortilla by Happy Baking Days
Grilled Chicken Caesar Pizza by In the Kitchen with Audrey
Whole Wheat Pasta with Swiss Chard and White Beans by The Lemon Bowl
Tomato Pie by My Catholic Kitchen
Shredded Chicken in Peanut Sauce Tacos w/ Corn & Zucchini Sauté by GirliChef
Tomatillo Chicken Stew by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Pollo a la Crema by La Cocina de Leslie
Baked Tilapia Fish Tacos by Home Cooking Memories
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken with a Yogurt Dill sauce and a Greek Salad by Noshing with the Nolands
Wagon Wheel Pasta with Pancetta & Peas by Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
Lemon & Dill Shrimp Pasta w/ Oven Roast Corn by Mama, Mommy, Mom
Ricotta – Tofu Tomato Toasts by Yummy Smells
One Pot Spicy Asian Chicken and Rice by Hezzi D
Turkey Italian Brown Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
Flatbread Pizza with Cilantro Garlic Sauce by Mom’s Test Kitchen
Kung Pao Shrimp by Mangoes and Chutney
Cashew Chicken Stir-fry by Diabetic Foodie
Chicken Bacon Avocado Quesadillas by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
Roasted Butternut Lo Mein by The Meltaways
Potluck Casserole with Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes & Writings
Jerk Chicken Chili by Mrs. Mama Hen
Loaded Chicken and Steak Stuffed Potatoes by Big Bears Wife
Steamed Tofu Serve with Fried Mix Vegetables by My Trials in the Kitchen
Pasta with sausage and cherry tomatoes by Tora’s Real Food
Chicken Ravioli with Peas and Bacon by Daddy Knows Less
Chorizo Tomato Pasta with a Creamy Sauce by Avocado Pesto
Quick N Easy Thai Coconut Shrimp Stir Fry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Whole Wheat Pizza with Hummus & Fresh Greens by Family Spice
Speedy ‘n Spicy Shrimp Pasta by The Weekend Gourmet
End of Summer Grilled Peach and Chicken Salad by Sustainable Dad
Teriyaki Tuna Bowl by Family Foodie
Weeknight Stir Fry by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
Baked Egg with Mushrooms and Bacon by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
Taco Bake by Daily Dish Recipes
Fried Rice and Black Beans by Mama’s Blissful Bites
Chicken with Broccoli, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Bow Ties by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Pasta in Tomato sauce and turkey meatballs by Basic & Delicious
Pasta Primavera by Midlife Road Trip
Tots Your Tots Will Love by The Hand that Rocks the Ladle


Here's my recipe:

30 minute Gluten Free Pepper Steak

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Servings: 4 servings

beef, onion
Ingredients
2 cups water
1 tbsp butter
1 cup white rice
half of 1 yellow onion, diced
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 lb top sirloin, sliced into strips
3/4 cup gluten free soy sauce
1 tbsp gluten free corn starch
1/8 cup sugar
1 bell pepper sliced into strips

Steps
In a medium saucepan with a lid, boil the 2 cups water and butter. Once boiling, stir in the rice and cover with the lid. Reduce to a medium low heat  and cook for about 17 minutes.

In a large skillet, add a tablespoon of olive oil and cook the diced onion until it is lightly translucent. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper, and beef. Cook until the beef is no longer red, stirring occasionally. 

While the beef cooks, stir the sauce, starch and sugar together until there are no more clumps of starch. Pour the sauce into the pan, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. 

Fluff the rice before serving, and enjoy!

31 comments:

  1. What an awesome recipe! I am so glad you shared this during #SundaySupper and love that you are part of our Movement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't had good pepper steak in a while - I'll definitely be trying your version. I'll probably skip the sugar though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious. I can't wait to give this a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great twist on pepper steak! I like rice with everything and this comes together in a snap. Have a great sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE pepper steak! And I love how you've served yours! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always enjoyed pepper steak. Thanks for sharing your recipe today. It is a great gluten-free option.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yum! what a simple but delicous dish! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I have some beef and peppers in the fridge right now so I'll be making it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good--I may just give it a try this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks simple and delicious! I haven't made pepper steak in years...and it's time to remedy that :) Happy #SundaySupper~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have great memories of this dish-- definitely should try it again! Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pepper steak - this looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pepper steak! Actually, I love any kind of steak! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always seem to love the combo of steak w/ peppers - I know I'd enjoy this meal!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anything made with peppers is a winner in my book! I love how you plated this. Looks DEEEEE-LISCIOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, I love pepper steak! I'm so glad to be a part of this amazing group - it's led me to discover fantastic blogs like this one. I'm trying to incorporate more gluten-free meals into my diet so I'll be sure to visit often for ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a quick and easy stir fry, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pepper steak :) Such a simple recipe, but so good!

    Jamie @ www.mamamommymom.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love pepper steak, and since my sister-in-law is gluten intolerant it is always wonderful to add more gluten-free recipes to my repertoire. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pepper steak is one of my favorites! Thanks for sharing, T.R.!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't had pepper steak in forever, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice !Never made Pepper steak quite this way ! Usually make beef stir fry ! Looks easy and simple too ! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi T.R. Crumbley,
    It's a great recipe!
    Don't you know that you can store and share your recipe with more than 13,000 foodies around the world?
    We have an online cookbook and community, and surely we're always looking for more creative recipes to add to our database.
    www.mycookbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good idea this the #SundaySupper blog group. When I read all this recipes, it makes me think I'm at the table in a gourmet restaurant... Moreover, for the'' salt and pepper'', pepper is often neglected because of poor quality. I finally opted for the aromatics peppers like Kerala pepper or Kampot pepper. They are delicious, and finally real spices and flavors.

    http://kampot-pepper.us

    ReplyDelete